TheMostReadBook.org

An English translation of the Quran that is as close as possible to the Arabic sacred text
View active topics
  Verse(s):    
View unanswered posts

Post subject: Verses 64:14-18
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 07:58 

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Suggested translation1,2:

-------
1This translation may have been updated from the original suggested translation as a result of the discussions that follow.
2Click on the {verse number} of a translation to see other good translations of the verse.

Go to previous segment   Go to next segment

Post subject: Re: Verses 64:14-18
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 20:43 
Site Admin

Quote:
{64:14} O you who have believed, indeed, among your wives and your children are enemies to you, so beware of them. But if you pardon and overlook and forgive - then indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful.

I suggest,
{64:14} O you who have believed, verily, among your spouses and your children is an enemy to you, so beware of them. But if you pardon, overlook and forgive - then verily, God is much Forgiving and Merciful.

Quote:
{64:16} So fear God as much as you are able and listen and obey and spend [in the way of God]; it is better for your selves. And whoever is protected from the stinginess of his soul - it is those who will be the successful.

I suggest,
{64:16} So watch out for God as much as you can and listen and obey, and spend [in the way of God]; it is better for your selves. And whoever is protected from the stinginess of his soul - it is those who will be the successful.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 02:17 

Linguistic wrote:
I suggest,
{64:16} So watch out for God as much as you can and listen and obey, and spend [in the way of God]; it is better for your selves. And whoever is protected from the stinginess of his soul - it is those who will be the successful.

Two remarks about the verse:

1. The context for the verse is the previous verses that address the temptation we face with respect to our children and our money. It seems to me that "watch out for God as much as you can" befits the temptation with respect to our children as people tend to break rules when it comes to the interest of their children, and God is the one who created us so attached to our children hence the "as much as you can" allowance. The spending part befits the temptation of our money.

2. It is interesting that "stinginess of his soul" would apply to both. Preferential standards when it comes to our children are as selfish as not wanting to spend our money on other people.

I don't know if these remarks would help with the translation. The only linguistic remark I have is that "selves" and "soul" are really translating the same word in this verse.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 22:55 
Site Admin

Quote:
{64:15} Your wealth and your children are but a trial, and God has with Him a great reward.

I suggest,
{64:15} Verily, your wealth and your children are but a trial, and God has with Him a great reward.

Pragmatic wrote:
Two remarks about the verse (64:16):
The only linguistic remark I have is that "selves" and "soul" are really translating the same word in this verse.

Thanks, Pragmatic, for your remarks. You are right. I felt I had to translate the word differently, because the first occurrence of it in the verse seems general to me, while the second occurrence seems specific to the soul. But that's interpretation! And I should consistently follow my own rule of not interpreting before translating :-)

So, I suggest,
{64:16} So watch out for God as much as you could, hear and obey, and spend [in the cause of God]; it is better for your souls. And whoever is protected from the stinginess of his soul - it is those who are the prospering.

Quote:
{64:17} If you loan God a goodly loan, He will multiply it for you and forgive you. And God is Most Appreciative and Forbearing.

I suggest,
{64:17} If you loan God a goodly loan, He will multiply it for you and forgive you. And God is much Thankful and Forbearing.

Quote:
{64:18} Knower of the unseen and the witnessed, the Exalted in Might, the Wise.

I suggest,
{64:18} Knower of the Beyond and the present, the Almighty, the Wise.